I first made this taco salad for a potluck lunch at work last year — I wanted something that was easy to make and transport. But I liked it so much that it’s become a regular part of our dinner rotation. It’s easy to mix up a large bowlful (I serve the dressing on the side) and have several delicious meals. I vary the protein depending on what I have on hand — it’s also delicious with leftover pulled pork.
Chopped taco salad
By Jane and Michael’s Gourmet Extravaganza
- 1/2 lb of ground turkey
- Taco seasoning, to taste
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup of finely shredded cheese (I prefer cheddar or a Mexican blend)
- Ranch or chipotle ranch dressing (I use Wishbone brand)
- Salsa (I use Trader Joe’s pineapple salsa)
- Tortilla chips (optional)
Cook and drain the ground turkey. Add a bit of water and taco seasoning to taste; simmer for 4-5 minutes. Set aside to cool. If you’re using another meat, like pulled pork, you can skip this step.
Place the chopped iceberg and romaine lettuces in a large bowl. Add the remaining veggies, shredded cheese, and meat. Toss to combine and refrigerate until serving.
Serve taco salad with chipotle ranch dressing, salsa, and tortilla chips (if desired). Enjoy!