After making a delicious skillet pasta dish last month, I decided to try my hand at a modified version last week. I used Italian sausage, zucchini, and a simple white sauce to make this version. We gave this one two thumbs up as well, so skillet pasta dishes are definitely going to be staying on our menu in the future.
Creamy Italian sausage pasta
By Jane and Michael’s Gourmet Extravaganza
- 8 oz. of medium shell-shaped pasta
- 2-3 Tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 oz. of white mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 7 oz. of Italian sausage links, halved and sliced
- Seasoned salt and pepper, to taste
- Dried herbs to taste (I used Italian seasoning, thyme, and rosemary)
- 3 Tbsp of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Parmesan cheese, as a garnish
Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
Heat 2-3 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, sausage, salt, pepper, and herbs. Cook until the veggies just become tender.
Gently stir 3 Tbsp of flour into the veggie mixture. Let cook for 2-3 minutes and then slowly add the milk, while stirring. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and let simmer, stirring often, until the sauce is thickened. Taste and season with additional salt, pepper, and herbs, if needed.
Dish into bowls, and garnish with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!