Michael and I enjoyed this delicious mushroom ragout for dinner tonight, and immediately decided to add it to our dinner rotation. The mixture of different mushrooms is savory and delicious — and pairs well with the creamy herbed polenta. I first saw a picture of this recipe on Dinner: A Love Story, and when Michael pointed out the same picture, I knew we would have to give it a try.
For the creamy herbed polenta:
- 2 cups milk or soy milk
- 2 cups chicken broth (we like to use Knorr’s Mexican chicken bouillon)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup polenta (we used Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Dried thyme, rosemary, and parsley, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring the milk, chicken broth, and butter to boil in a medium saucepan. Add the polenta and cook for 8-10 minutes over medium heat, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in remaining polenta ingredients.
For the mushroom ragout:
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 of a small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz of assorted mushrooms (I used 4 oz of sliced baby bella mushrooms and 8 oz of quartered white mushrooms)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Dried thyme, to taste
Meanwhile, heat the butter and oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms and saute for 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken broth and dried thyme and simmer for about 5 minutes.
To serve, spoon the polenta into shallow bowls, then top with the mushroom ragout. Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.